Monday, February 20, 2006

A way of life.

For athletes, their sport is their way of life.

I'm not a high performance athlete like those in the Olympics, but I do train karate three to four times a week.

There's only so much you can learn and you learn that very quickly. You spend the rest of your life trying to perfect those "basics." And that's all there is to most sports.

Yeah, practice can be tedious. And, amazingly, you can push past injury like nobody's business.

Athletes get hurt all the time. They get torn whatevers and broken bones. They won't let a little injury slow them down. I used to think that was crazy, until I lost my toenail in a match. Although it hurt, I didn't flinch and kept on going. Adrenaline has a lot to do with it, as well as a neurotic need to keep on going no matter what. I can't explain it.

Sport can be like an addiction. You don't want to give it up for one night, even to let an injury heel.

Although, someone got their tooth knocked through their lip in karate this weekend. I don't know if I can handle that one.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Not gonna lie, that's just bad*** ... so u deal with -50 degree fahrenheit weather and u do karate. Remind me not to anger you in the future ... ever! Haha ...

Kelly said...

What can I say, the cold makes a person tough.