Monday, March 06, 2006

The Oscars

A war could break out the same night as the Oscars and sadly not many would care about the war.

Why are the Oscars so widely watched? Why do we care what the celebrities are wearing?

The speeches are the most pretentious ever. Let me paraphrase what was said Sunday night: "The movies are so important. What we do is so important."

But in actuality it's like: "Dude you're an actor who makes way too much money. You're not the prime minister. You make movies - not cause wars."

And then there was Reese Witherspoon's speech about how she tries to make serious movies that make a difference. Her career has largely consisted of movies like Legally Blonde, Sweet Home Alabama and Election.

All she did was die her hair brown and play the girlfriend of a singer. It was no Syriana or Crash. It didn't really try to teach the world of its own inhumanities.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You obviously watched them. Yet so critical.

Kelly said...

Hey, I never said I wasn't a hypocrite.

The only reason I watched them this year is because of the Oscar pool at work.

I'd never really bothered to watch the Oscars before.

Kelly said...

When they say lowest ratings, I wonder what is meant by that.

I bet their lowest ratings are a lot higher than the ratings most TV shows have.