Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Bat out of hell...

Truck drivers are crazy.

Let's say you are driving on the highway in your little car and it's day time. The roads are fine, so you're doing the speed limit. Chances are you'll come across several snail-like semis you'll have to pass. When road conditions are fine, semis tend to drive below the speed limit.

Now let's say it's dark out. The road conditions are horrible with ice and whiteout conditions. You, being cautious and wise, slow down to meet the road conditions. You might even be looking for a nearby town where you can spend the night and wait out the storm. The semis, in the meantime, are whipping by you at breakneck speeds.

What gives? In normal conditions, semis move like slugs. In horrid conditions, semis are driven by maniacs.

It's pure madness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since when are you scared of semis? Wasn't it you that went flying passed a semi on a curve, with no passing while another car was coming towards you?

Kelly said...

Well Jules, that was during good road conditions. Therefore that truck was moving slow. And, by the way, I think your version of events is a bit of an exaggeration. Passing was allowed.

But had it been storming, the truck would have been rip-roaring through and I, not having a death wish, would have been travelling at a more appropriate speed.

Anonymous said...

Try driving on the evil 401 from Montreal to Toronto. I have been almost killed more than a 100 times by stupid semi drivers. And its true the worse the conditions, the faster they go.

Last trip, it was raining hard. My crappy little 1,000lb car needs a good distance to stop, more so when the road is covered with a layer of water. Semis, which weigh WAY MORE, need even more distance than I, but what did the one do? He was 1/2 foot off my rear bumper. And the 401 is usually panic stop and go, so if I had to hit the brakes, I would have been killed. What can I do though? Nothing. Sit back and hope everything works out.

Next car I buy will have a zillion air bags in it to protect me from the morons out there. If I ever do get into an accident which was due to some moron's driving skills, I am going to peel my broken body out of my smashed car and beat the moron with one of their arms I ripped out of their sockets.