Saturday, November 05, 2005

Apathy anyone??

Jack Kerouac once said: "I don't know. I don't care. And it doesn't make any difference."

No truer words were spoken, in a sense, anyways.

Caring makes living harder to deal with, especially when one starts to think about global injustices.

If we don't know and don't care, it really doesn't make a difference. We are only one in a few billion. What is another lost soul?

If we don't care, where does that leave us?

Sitting at home, eating potato chips, watching reruns of "Sex and the City," while thousands of other people starve.

I have no power to help the world. I turn my back and choose not to care. I take for granted my trivial daily problems and refuse to acknowledge the harder realities out there.

On the surface, I don't care about anything, except, of course, for me.

But peel away my layers and you will find guilt over the fact that, every year, 15 million children die of hunger.

But I shut it out. I make myself not care. Because, even if I cared, it wouldn't make a difference. I am only one person. I cannot solve the world's problems. I cannot even begin to try.

No comments: