Sunday, May 21, 2006

A nervous tick.

My sister and I went for our first hike of the season through a marshy grassland area. It was windy and cloudy and it looked like it was going to rain, but we went anyway.

On the drive home, we were just coming into the city, when I saw a black spider crawling over my hand. I asked my sister to take it off and she freaked out. It was a wood tick.

We pulled up to a nearby pizza place and took off our sweaters and shook them out. Four more ticks.

Then, over lunch, I found another tick, so like any good responsible citizen would do, I flicked it across the restaurant. I should have put it in my salad to get a free meal.

On the drive home from the restaurant my sister found another tick on her hand, so she rolled open the window and stuck her arm out, shaking her arm and screaming. The guy who was standing on the street nearby found this funny.

We found three more wood ticks at home. I threw them outside for the family dog to pick up later. Wood ticks are virtually impossible to kill - have you ever tried stepping on one?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Kansas. Ticks are required as soon as you cross into it. *grin*

-n

Anonymous said...

Are you still nervously ticking out of town?

Kelly said...

Anon,

Nope. I'm back from outerspace.

Anonymous said...

I was told you have to burn them.

Kelly said...

Burning them? I've never tried that one before. Perhaps, maybe next time. But I have a tough time killing things, including ticks.