Monday, May 01, 2006

A New Taste

Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches—Yep, apparently there are some people out there who eat them on a regular basis.

And they think it’s normal.

Now I’m a regular consumer of the peanut butter and banana sandwich. And, occasionally, I will have peanut butter and jam. I would also not be above peanut butter and chocolate chip sandwiches.

But the thought of peanut butter and pickle sandwiches literally makes my stomach turn. It’s just wrong.

That said, I’ve met two people now, who work in the same office, who claim to love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. They are how I learnt that such an abomination even existed.

One of those people brought in such a sandwich for me to try. You can imagine my horror when I saw the sandwich sitting on my desk.

I stared at it. It stared at me. I had to at least try it. It was made for just me.

I held it up to my mouth, and then put it down. I held it up to my mouth, and then put it down.

I finally took a very tiny bite. I tasted peanut butter and followed by pickle.

I contemplated the taste. It wasn’t horrible. But still my stomach was turning in discomfort.

I took another tiny bite. Again, not horrible, but my stomach, at this point, started screaming: “NO!”

I listened to my stomach and threw the sandwich in the garbage.

I tried, but my stomach just couldn’t do it.

Besides, perhaps the whole peanut butter and pickle thing was just a cruel joke, because no one really eats peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Do they?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That they do. My husband really enjoys them. And if you think that's weird then give your kids these choices: Ketchup, mustard, mayo, peanut butter, jelly, shredded cheese, lettuce and syrup. Now tell them to choose four to make a sandwich. Now THOSE combos were nasty! But they ate them AND liked them. *smile* But then again.. they liked peanut butter and saurkraut sandwiches too.

-n

Kelly said...

Combinations I won't be trying anytime soon.

Peanut butter and saurkraut... isn't that child abuse... Just jokes :)

Anonymous said...

LOL!

-n