Thursday, May 04, 2006

Association Games

It’s weird how television can influence our thoughts.

I’ve been making my way through the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the first time recently. There is a popular musical episode called “Once more with Feeling” about a demon that makes people dance and sing until they are so worked up they burst into flames.

In one scene, a dancing Buffy is spinning around so fast that she is literally starting to smoke.

So anyway, I was at a men’s figure skating event. While watching the skaters spin faster and faster, a weird thought walked across my mind: “The figure skaters could spontaneously combust doing those spins.”

I shook the thought out of my head.

It’s weird how our mind makes connections. It’s not so much word association as concept and image association. And it’s funny how and when those associations work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very true. It's also amazing how computer games can make it into our thoughts. I played World of Warcraft (now I play City of Heroes) for at least a year. I like taking nice screenshots so I can put them up as desktop images. Now, when I see a beautiful scene I say loudly (and enthusiastically) SCREENSHOT. It's become a funny habit... cause I still do it without thinking. *smile*

I watched a lot of Buffy. I've been wanting to watch that musical episode ever since I heard about it.

-n

Kelly said...

It's a great episode. If you have the chance to watch it you definitely should.