Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Monsters Are Us

We've all heard of bad hair days, but have you ever heard of a Frankenstein Day? That's the kind of day I'm having -- where you want to fit in here or there, but just can't, because apparently you have monster-like characteristics that make you stand apart from the group. I'm sure we all have a monster in us that sometimes scares people away. All Frankenstein wanted was for people to see past his monster-like traits and connect with the vulnerable human within. He was just like everybody else, but people just couldn't see it. What does it mean to be just like everybody else?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose that, as women, we're taught that it is important to fit in. I think it took me a long time to come to terms with that, to accept myself for who I am, be damned what others think. There came a point, I guess, where I felt a need to speak in my own voice, to demand -- yes demand a space for myself at the table, so to speak. A lot of people don't like that, especially when it's coming from a woman.

That said, there are days when, ya, I'd like to be just like everyone else. Then again, how bloody boring would that be?!?

B-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like high school. I never understood trying to fit in. A few of these "cool" people end up in University and start yet another incrowd; however, this time around, no one cares. They are too stupid to notice though. Scary part is that they continue to do this once they start working. Wow, you're in the cool group at McDonalds? I am soooo impressed, I wish I could be like you. Not. I am glad I work in a professional field where stupid people like that have been weeded out.

Damnit Kelly, just be who you are. Differences make the workplace more productive and entertaining!

Kelly said...

It should be noted that when I say Frankenstein I am talking about what today people think of as the monster.

In Mary Shelley's book, Frankenstein was the doctor who created the monster who had no name. He was just referred to as the creature.

Anonymous said...

Fitting in is a need for insecure people. I'm more game for just being who I am(someone that keeps themself busy so they don't have free time to think... curse those sins of the past!)