Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Fame and Fortune

I wonder if celebrities are insulted when we don’t recognize them.

Throughout my life I’ve encountered a number of different “famous” people, some of whom I would not have known until someone told me who they were.

I’m particularly bad with professional athletes and country singers, because I’m just not that interested in what they do. Therefore I do not keep up with what is going on in their industry unless I get hit in the face with it. For instance, I did not know who the Dixie Chicks were until they insulted George Bush. I can’t name many other performers in the country world, let alone know their songs. Even with the Dixie Chicks, I probably wouldn’t recognize them in the street.

Once I had a conversation with Vinnie Jones. Since his name meant nothing to me, I didn’t really make much of it. I’m sure there would be people in Europe who would be stunned at my ignorance. I still don’t think it was a big deal.

In my experience, celebrities are like everyone else. Some are nice. Some are jerks. So they’re millionaires, big deal.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some are extremely talented, tho. But only the talented and innovative ones should expect our affection. -Fez

Anonymous said...

I was in an elevator once with Beverly Mahood. Who? Exactly. On the main floor, we walked out and people started surrounding her and asking her for autographs. I was completely clueless, and still really don't care that I rode an elevator with her. Celebrity is quite odd...

Kelly said...

Yeah, I have no idea who Beverly Mahood is either. A singer perhaps?