Monday, August 04, 2008

Where the buffalo roam

I was out walking the grid roads yesterday and was delighted to find a herd of buffalo grazing about in a field. I hopped down into the ditch to take a photo, but they all ran off in a thunderous gallop. The sound of them running was the most amazing thing I ever heard. Watching them run was also pretty cool.

I felt guilty though for causing them panic, especially when a baby became separated from the herd and struggled to keep up. If I was a predator, it would have been dead.

Anyhow, I didn't think the buffalo would be so jumpy. Clearly I underestimated their survival instinct, which is definitely lacking in the cows around here. You could walk right up to a cow and it would just look at you. And a cow certainly should be afraid of humans. Yet somehow they do little to fight us.

4 comments:

Brenda Schmidt said...

Uh, so clearly you're not the buffalo whisperer...

Kelly said...

Apparently not.

Unknown said...

Good information and post...

For albums free mp3 downloads

Anonymous said...

They probably think of us as peaceful creatures or they are not as fast as the buffalo.