Saturday, February 16, 2008

Mondo

My favourite Zen mondo is this:

Monk: "I have just entered the monastery. Please give me some guidance."

Master: "Have you eaten your rice gruel?"

Monk: "Yes. I've eaten."

Master: "Then go wash your bowl."

Like the Monk, sometimes I would like all of life's answers to be given to me at once or have success in an instant. I always tell myself, you can't climb Mount Everest in a day, and on the mountainside you still have to wash your bowl. Even if you're doing something great, you can't escape the quotidian. Washing the bowl is the lesson and it's a part of the journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

.......it's just up to you to decide how big of a burden to make the bowl-washing necessity. Personally, when I cook, I never let dishes pile up. I run sink after sink of soapy water to do them as I go. I don't find it hard to do. -Fez