Thursday, January 10, 2008

Responsibility

Today, I was reading a story on Yahoo News about how the U.S. recently bombed 40 selected targets in Iraq with smart bombs. I then made the mistake of looking at the readers' comments.

There was a right-winger on there ripping into the left-wing and Islam with some really hateful words. People would tell her how stupid she was or agree with her and she would come back on and tell everyone they were stupid. The whole forum was really negative and outrageous.

I felt compelled to throw my two bits in, which I don't normally do. I wrote: "I can't believe the blatant hatred, disrespect, racism and xenophobia in these comments. Some of you should be ashamed of yourself. War and terrorism are rooted in these attitudes."

I waited for people to respond to the comment and either agree with me or tell me I was an idiot. Instead they ignored it and kept making their hateful comments at each other.

This to me is the problem with the human race. Some people like arguing and fighting with each other so much, they ignore any comments that hold them responsible for perpetuating a problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you KA. This was quite insightful. Good for you.

k.d. said...

I, too, agree with you. I think if more people were like you, the world would be better