Sunday, July 08, 2007

On typewriters...

I don't understood the appeal of the typewriter in this day and age where computers rule supreme. Typewriters make edits pure hell. Yet I've met a number of young writers who are using old typewriters they've dug up out of their grandparents basement or bought on eBay.

I didn't understand the appeal of the typewriter until I read David Streit's poem: "untitled, november 23, 2006:"

"everyone loves a typewriter." Streit writes:

"it has the word writer in it.
no one wants to grow up to be a "puter."
eventually typing is a skill set that is being lost. this is the
recovery.
pause thought. scroll. type. type."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever. I currently have a roll of 120 in my mom's 1959 Brownie Hawkeye--it's just about dabbling, dabbling in lost art forms, exploring different mediums, expanding your repertoire of kicks, keeping things interesting and not sinking into the boring oblivion of the mainstream instrument du jour, be that the ubiquitous digital camera, dvd/cd player or MS Word for Wiiindeeews. -A. Warren, aka Fez

P.S. I have a classic typewriter I bought at the Hill Avenue hardware store's close-out sale in 2003, but I don't use it. It's just there to show I have an emotive connection to the past, when things had hard edges and a window was something that let the light in.

Kelly said...

Oh yeah, I remember you telling me about that typewriter. Although I don't recall the days when a window was something that let light in.