Monday, March 26, 2007

Workshops

The dilemma I often face when going to a writing workshop is: "What work should I submit?"

Should I submit something good that might impress other writers? Or should I submit a horrible piece of writing that has been grating me and is in desperate need of workshopping?

I go with the latter. As a result, I'm sure there are a lot of writers I respect out there going: "Really? That girl's a published poet? Really? But did you just read what she submitted at that workshop? What a piece of crap!"

There can be no ego when it comes to battling your own worst nightmares . . . I mean poems.

5 comments:

Rhett Soveran said...

That's what I think when I read your stuff!!!

I suppose I don't even know if I can make those sort of jokes with you, but I have recently decided that I should be confident to just be myself and not spare anyone the wrath of my jackass-ery. :D

Actually, I know exactly what you are talking about and I do the same. I know there are plenty of people that go with their best stuff. But my ego can withstand many things. All I need is a mirror :D

Brenda Schmidt said...

I've tried going with the former in hopes of impressing someone, but the response seems to be no different than when I go with the latter, so now I just go with the latter.

Kelly said...

Don't worry Rhett. I can handle the abuse. That's why I submit my worst poems.

Brenda, I've submitted my best too.

When I apply for programs, like the mentorship, I hand in my very best to get accepted. Of course, then when accepted, that is the work that gets picked apart first.

You have to swallow your ego even more when someone tells you a poem you've been working on for two years isn't finished, like you thought it was.

Maybe that's why I hand in my worst. It's less ego damaging than having your best picked apart.

Tracy Hamon said...

I have no idea what is the best, and what isn't. I send what I think needs work, if it's that kind of workshop, and I send what seems to be more polished if that's what's required.

It's such a subjective world--especially when we're (the writers of the poems) the object. Or at least that's what my ego tells me.

Kelly said...

Tracy,

It's a very subjective world, for sure.