Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Honest Truth

Honesty is deeply valued in our society. Yet no one really values the truth.

In fact, we're all a bunch of liars in one way or another.

Let's say you are at the store and the cashier asks you "how are you doing today?"

Your response will likely be good, even if you just came from the dentist after an intensive procedure. The freezing is wearing off and you feel a sudden wave of nausea.

If you were to be honest, you would say: "I'm actually in an immense amount of pain. I feel dizzy and about ready to throw up on your floor."

But no one wants to hear that and so you say: "I'm good. Thanks for asking."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lies, in a mythic sense, are great.

Myself, I am personally a fan of awkward humour. So if I am feeling especially witty, I give honest answers to generic questions to throw people off.

Kelly said...

I'm also a fan of awkward humour.

I am really good at delivering sarcasim completely deadpan, which means people take my comments seriously, which eventually adds to the humour once they realize I'm being sarcastic.